Video: 3 more tributes for Komla Dumor

After Ghanaian BBC presenter Komla Dumor's sudden death, tributes are pouring in. From people who knew him, to those who only heard of him but enjoyed his work, the tributes are consistent.

He was a career role model by Sandister Tei, studying International Journalism

I remember a night before an interview for a scholarship to study journalism at Cardiff University. I wanted to refresh my memory on what I knew about Ghanaian journalists as preparation. I wanted to know why if in case I am asked about my ambitions, I'd be quick to say, I wanted a career like Komla's. I wanted to know where my respect for him came from.

My interviewers did ask me a question that eventually had me mention his name. However I had to take him out of the context of the platform BBC gave him, to allow me place my aspirations properly.

As a Ghanaian wanting to do journalism, how could I impact an international audience without working for an international news giant like the BBC? How could I work in a place like the Ghana Broadcasting Corporation (GBC), and bring the world to look at and respect GBC? Could I relate to him?

... he advocated for balance in storytelling about Africa. He was at the service of the continent.
In the much referred to BBC promo video in which Komla delivered the now famous, "I take the work seriously, I take you seriously, I take what we are doing seriously", one thing was clear. Whether at Joy where he started in Ghana, or the BBC, he was apt to take his work seriously. This was something I could learn and apply anywhere I work.

Of all other causes he could have pursued, he advocated for balance in storytelling about Africa. He was at the service of the continent. Whether aspiring for local impact or international impact, he was fit as a model. It was because no matter the angle you chose to look at it, you still saw your aspirations in him.

"... A very nice piece he did in South Africa." by Kavya Nath, watched him in India

A fan from India had a few words about Komla. She made a new point. Komla was not at the BBC sports desk, yet he was so good, that he was going to be BBC's face, the second time, at a major sporting event -- the World Cup in Brazil.



"He was the face of Africa in Journalism"
by Philip Ashon, met him at Citi FM

You met him more than once. Your words?
Philip: I think he was a complete human being.  His relations with people, his ability to remember certain details about your first meeting with him. He was just wonderful.


How do you consider his contribution to  Ghana?
Everybody has a part to play. Like Martin Luther King to civil rights, Kwame Nkrumah to Ghana's independence, Komla had his part to play. He will be best known for putting Ghanaian or African journalists on an international front.

Credits:
Camera and storytelling: Sandister Tei
Interviewees: Kavya Nath & Philip Ashon
Screen captured videos: BBC Youtube Channel & bbc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment